BSS is running the “Modernization of the Barbados Statistical Service Project” whose purpose is to strengthen the ability of the BSS to provide relevant, timely and quality economic and social statistics, and establish its leadership in this area within the public sector. New BSS ICT architecture aims at achieving these goals through three main initiatives:
- Centralizing the access to all data and metadata by means of a central data and metadata repository
- Creating a web-based platform that will allow access to BSS data, metadata, tools and products, thus promoting collaboration among the BSS, NSS parties, other organizations as well as the public
- Emphasizing the importance of metadata throughout the entire lifecycle of the statistics production process
Within this project we implemented:
- BSS Central Data Repository, Aggregated Data Databases adn Multidimensional Data databases where all BSS data and metadata are stored, with Business Intelligence solution
- BSS Statistics Portal, internal (for BSS and partner organizations) and external (accessible from Internet), acting as a central hub for the dissemination and publication of BSS statistical products as well as the collection, submission and exchange of data and metadata.
- Statistical Metadata System for the creation, management and maintenance of all BSS metadata.